Monday, September 2, 2013

Back to College


 


Still can’t I
What was my need
do not understand why -
why in the first place
did I decide to take up those subjects
I had already passed, done so well
But I was there with the eventual relief that I could always give up.  Yet, I insisted,
and we had to hand over
this essay
which involved so much of a  time I had not.
What a pain…
Amazingly, the professor still reminded of me and took me to his office.
 He kept his white beard and glasses and a self confidence which was much of his guarantee to succeed.
His first attempt and intention apparently just to help me and give the clues for the piece of work. But I knew what his aim really was. I was so flattered that he chose me,  so I let him go and do too. Overwhelmed.  Here is my number... I’ll need yours too. Oh-Ok, sure!
 Now we can go to the bar if you wish. Feeling  his obsession to get me . So typical-
he  gave his wife a good excuse and then everything would be alright for the rest of the night.

Delighted,  I followed his steps in the streets after getting off all his daily obstacles. I walked less lost now for I had a goal I had not expected.

He thought he had got rid of all the risks which being together could have involved- not just yet, there came those former senior students he had not counted on-  with a surprise, a party?
This was out of plan…
Really? honey - won't you come?

I left after knowing they all remembered me from  certain old days I could not grasp- ah college
I felt sorry for them, proud of me, since they did not get my far or my way.
Shame on you,  on us and your plan. I could have let myself go, you know?
I love to see you missed it in your old sad eyes.
Off  is compromise
or commitment...
Hey! It's ok
I’ll always love your age
Our smile
And experience.

IMAGE> neslihan öncel 007 by Neslihan Öncel

7 comments:

  1. wow1 Dulce...a different genre for you to write. I like, LIKE it.
    Many many stories like this are played out in real like every HOUR! EveryWHERE. Glad you escaped the humiliations (from yourself and others).

    This inspires me to write a post from long ago in my YOOT, and mine did not end so nicely.

    The accompanying picture of people with head above water fits many like-situations during our lives.

    Thank you so much for story, written well. You get A+ from this gray-bearded man, who is not exchanging a good grade for a trip to the bar, roll in the hay, or those horrible
    feelings of hopelessness and helplessness which often follow

    Blessings
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this prose piece and the subject handled with sensitivity and authentic in the feelings of the student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. intriguing verse dulce...we all have to make choices, what we are willing sacrifice and do to get ahead, and what we want to be known for...dfe you captured the feelings and conflicted emotions of the moment

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes we have to do things not because we want to but because they are worth doing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed very much.. The wonder where this would end mad for a great read..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is different...Intriguing as Brain said. It opened a whole fantasy in my head waiting for more.
    More...I want to read more.
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for reading and taking the time to give some feedback!
D.